As I was preparing for worship last Sunday, I was talking with God and was asking for a word to apply for myself and others. I then came across this:
Luke 8:22-25 (MSG)
One day He (Jesus) and His disciples got in a boat. "Let's cross the lake," He said. And off they went. It was smooth sailing, and He fell asleep. A terrific storm came up suddenly on the lake. Water poured in, and they were about to capsize. They woke Jesus: "Master, Master, we're going to drown!"
Getting to His feet, He told the wind, "Silence!" and the waves, "Quiet down!" They did it. The lake became smooth as glass. Then He said to His disciples, "Why can't you trust Me?"
They were in absolute awe, staggered and stammering, "Who is this, anyway? He calls out to the winds and sea, and they do what He tells them!"
It's amazing how we think our walk with God will always be "smooth sailing." Jesus simply says, "let's cross the lake," and then falls asleep in the boat while the rest of the guys (the disciples) are playing marbles or something.. I'm not quite sure.. and then BAM! A storm comes out of nowhere and they immediately freak out. Frantically, they run to Jesus and He calms the storm. The first words He says to the disciples is, "Why can't you trust Me?"
"Why can't you trust Me?" Wow. Those were the words that hit me the most when I read that passage. Currently, in life, things aren't planning out the way I had intended (imagine that!) and in some ways, ok, a lot of ways, I'm getting a bit frustrated and/or worried that God has somehow forgetten where I am. (Which I know He hasn't, this isn't the main point. I'm just being real here)
You, me, they, he, she, we, them, all of us are on the journey with Jesus, and everything was smooth sailing when you came to know Christ until you get hit with a "storm."
- an unknown bill comes up
- you're car breaks down
- you're living from paycheck to paycheck
- friends move away while you're still in your hometown
- someone close in your life passed away
- you lose your job
- you're overwhelmed with your job
- you're too stressed out because of this or that
- you didn't get the job you wanted
- you didn't get the promotion you deserve
- family problems
- relationship problems
- YOU FILL IN THE BLANK
and then God comes to you and says, "Why can't you trust Me?"
God knows what is best for us. So why do we always think the "storms of life" is a bad thing? I'm not saying that going through a "storm" is an easy thing, but why is the first few things to think of is that God left us, or He is mad at us? Or even the questions of "What did I do wrong?", "I don't deserve this!!" or "God, did you forget about me?"
Psalm 94:14-19 (MSG) says:
"God will never walk away from His people, never desert His precious people. Rest assured that justice is on its way and every good heart put right. Who stood up for me against the wicked? Who took my side against evil workers? If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. The minute I said, "I'm slipping, I'm falling," Your love, God, took hold and held me fast. When I was upset and beside myself, You calmed me down and cheered me up."
God has promised to never leave us, nor forsake us; He will be with us wherever we go. (Joshua 1:5&9)
Something that I really believe God has given me was this:
"God, I don't understand; but, I understand to trust in You."
You don't need to understand everything.
Let me repeat that: YOU DON'T NEED TO UNDERSTAND EVERYTHING.
What you need to understand is to trust in God.
Trust in His timing.
Trust in His love.
Trust in His grace.
Trust in His doing.
Trust in His leading.
Trust in HIM.
He created you.
He loves you.
And He know's what is best for you.
so, why can't you trust in Him?
No comments:
Post a Comment